Controversial arbitration calls leave Michigan frustrated following college football playoff semifinal loss

Vrbo Fiesta Bowl - Michigan vs. TCU
Getty Images

A pair of refereeing decisions in No. 3 TCU’s 51-45 win over No. 2 Michigan in the Fiesta Bowl has sparked controversy, especially among Wolverines fans frustrated by the impact of the controversial appeals on their teams’ chances in the wild college football playoff semifinals. While the Horned Frogs were penalized twice more for 70 more yards than the Wolverines in a game that featured plenty of questionable calls from both sides, a pair of plays that came under video scrutiny went down. is demarcated.

The first came a potentially game-breaking catch from Michigan wide receiver Roman Wilson early in the second quarter. His 50-yard dive from quarterback JJ McCarthy was initially ruled a touchdown. Upon review, however, officials deemed Wilson to be on the 1-yard line. In the end, it shouldn’t have mattered – Wolverines should have been able to gain a single yard from there to hit paid ground – but it turned out to be a big and questionable call when a Failed transfer between McCarthy and Kalel Mullings resulted in a touchdown and a turnover on the following play.

It appeared that Wilson didn’t actually possess the ball until he was in the end zone as the momentum of his dive carried him over the goal line, but officials ruled otherwise. and the costly escape ensued. In a game that was decided by six points, a call that took six points off the board – along with a potential extra point – suspended the rest of the game.

Then, with Michigan in possession and facing a fourth-and-10 from their own 25-yard line in the final minute, it appeared TCU’s Kee’Yon Stewart may have been targeting. The junior cornerback put his head down while helping to bring down Michigan’s Colston Loveland well before the first down.

A targeting call would have resulted in 15 yards and an automatic first down for the Wolverines, which would have dramatically changed the course of the final minute. After a video review, however, officials felt there was no targeting, and TCU was able to kneel on the soccer ball and miss time.

In the end, Michigan’s three turnovers — including two choices of six TCUs — and the Wolverines’ red zone struggles did more damage than the officiating team. But it may take Wolverines fans a while to recover from how the game was called. For the record, TCU fans also had plenty to be upset about from the officials, including that dubious passer call that extended a Michigan practice in the first half.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *