Elon Musk responds to major Twitter outage: ‘It works for me’

  • Twitter faced its first widespread outage under Elon Musk on Wednesday night.
  • Musk responded to the reports by tweeting, “Works for me.”
  • Twitter staff have previously raised concerns about the outages after Musk laid off half of the company’s staff.

On Wednesday, Twitter suffered its first widespread outage since Elon Musk took over the platform.

Downdetector saw about 10,000 people submit problem reports, as of about 5:00 p.m. PT. Problems have been reported in several countries in North America, Europe and Asia.

Musk responded to some unaffected users discussing the reports, saying: “Work for me.”

Twitter’s web browsing platform was mainly affected, some users automatically logged out and were greeted with the error message: “Something went wrong, but don’t worry, it’s not Not your fault. Let’s try again.”

The Wall Street Journal reported that Twitter Spaces was also unusable on the mobile app.

When Musk responded to users, it was unclear whether the Twitter CEO was tweeting from his phone or the website, as Musk removed the feature that indicates which device a tweet was sent from.

The outage appeared to be resolved after three hours when reports from Downdetector returned to baseline levels.

Fears about such a blackout began after Musk laid off about half of Twitter’s 7,500 employees shortly after buying the company. After further cuts, Twitter had about 2,300 employees in November — a drop of almost 70% — according to Insider’s Kali Hays.

A former Twitter engineer, who left before Musk’s takeover, previously told Insider, “If something goes wrong, it will take longer to recover because the people responsible for maintaining core services have been laid off.”

Twitter’s last major outage was in July. According to the Wall Street Journal, there were more than five times as many reports on Downdetector, but the issue was resolved within an hour.

Musk admitted to making mistakes on Twitter when he appeared on the “All-In” podcast, which was released on Saturday. The show’s co-hosts include Jason Calacanis and David Sacks, who advised Musk when he first took over the platform.

“Hey, I just got here, man,” Musk said. “I think we will have fewer blunders in the future.”

Twitter did not respond to Insider’s request for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *