Sheriff’s deputies charged after killing 22-year-old who called for help


  • Christian Glass, 22, was killed by police in June during an apparent mental health emergency.
  • Glass called 911 after his car got stuck and was killed after a 70-minute standoff.
  • Andrew Buen and Kyle Gould have been charged with negligent murder and homicide.

Andrew Buen and Kyle Gould, former Clear Creek, Colorado sheriff’s department deputies, have been charged in connection with the June murder of Christian Glass, a 22-year-old who called on them for help during a apparent mental health crisis.

“Today’s decision by a grand jury to indict Mr. Andrew Buen and Mr. Kyle Gould follows months of careful investigation by a team of dedicated investigators and careful consideration by members of our community slated to serve on a grand jury,” read a statement released Wednesday by the Clear Creek Sheriff’s Department.

Buen, who also faces legal action for a separate excessive force incident that occurred in 2019, has been charged with 2nd degree murder, official misconduct and reckless endangerment in connection with the death of Glass, the court setting bail of $50,000 for the officer. , according to a statement released by the attorney for the 5th Judicial District. Gould was charged with criminally negligent homicide and reckless endangerment and his bail was set at $2,500.

Both deputies were fired from the sheriff’s department as a result of the indictment.

Glass was killed June 11 after an approximately 70-minute interaction with officers who responded to his 911 call for help. After his car got stuck on the side of a dark mountain road, Glass – who appeared to be suffering from a mental health crisis – was too scared to get out of his vehicle after seven officers from multiple departments arrived different law enforcement agencies and was not complying with orders to unlock its doors.

Christian Glass makes a heart sign with his hands pointing at the officers who will later shoot and kill him.

Christian Glass makes a heart sign with his hands pointing at the officers who will later shoot and kill him.

rathod | Mohamedbhai LLC

Although Glass had committed no crime, the decision was made by officers at the scene to break the window in his passenger seat to get him out. At that time, Glass, an amateur geologist, brandished a small rock knife at the officers and cut himself with it. Officers fired bean bags and then bullets at Glass, killing him.

A Glass family lawyer, Siddhartha Rathod, previously told Insider that Deputy Buen was the first to arrive on the scene and repeatedly escalated the encounter with Christian, ultimately firing the fatal shots that killed him.

Experts who analyzed body camera footage released by the family told Insider that a better course of action would have been to leave Glass alone after refusing help, rather than making the decision to walk away. break into his vehicle or shoot him.

An internal investigation into the incident is underway at the Clear Creek County Sheriff’s Department, according to a statement from the department which acknowledged “there were breaches of policy and procedure” by responding officers.

“Nothing will bring Christian back to his family,” read a statement the Glass family’s attorneys emailed to Insider. “Simon and Sally Glass are relieved that proper charges have been brought against some of those responsible for their son’s murder. However, justice for Christian will demand that everyone involved be held accountable. Christian’s death is a stain on every officer who was present and failed to prevent escalation and unnecessary use of force.”

Sheriff Rick Albers and representatives from the Clear Creek County Sheriff’s Department did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *