Sinbad’s ‘dead’ members ‘come alive’ 2 years after stroke

It’s been two years since comedian and actor Sinbad had a debilitating stroke this left him hooked to a ventilator and in a medically induced coma.

While his family said his particular situation only had a survival rate of around 30%, today the 66-year-old is recovering.

“His progress is nothing short of remarkable,” his family said on a website dedicated to updating fans on his progress. “Legs that were said to be ‘dead’ come back to life and he takes the necessary steps to relearn how to walk.”

The update came two years after Sinbad had ischemia stroke after a blood clot traveled from his heart to his brain, his family said. After an initially “very promising” prognosis, however, he developed another blood clot the next day. Shortly after having to undergo a second surgery, her brain began to swell, and as doctors tried to relieve the pressure during a craniotomy, they discovered bleeding in the brain.

It was then that he was placed in an artificial coma and on a ventilator.

“It would be weeks before he opened his eyes, spoke or showed signs of basic mobility,” his family told the website. “It wasn’t long before we realized he couldn’t move his left side or just hold his head up. As time passed, the family learned how much had been lost.”

After months spent in acute care facilities, Sinbad was admitted to a rehabilitation center in May 2021. Two months later – nine months after his first stroke – he was able to return home. He’s gotten better and even recently made an appearance on an episode of FX’s “Atlanta.”

The family are now asking for help via the website to pay for their treatment, saying the cost of their care has exceeded what insurance will cover.

“The chance of surviving this type of event is around 30%,” the family said. “Sinbad has already beaten all predictions and made significant progress beyond what everyone expected, but there are still miles to go.”

Sinbad, born David Adkins, is known for his stand-up comedy, as well as his acting roles on “The Redd Foxx Show,” “A Different World,” “Jingle All the Way” and his own series, “The Sinbad Show,” which ran from 1993 to 1994.

Several celebrities have taken to his family’s website to ask for help, including actor Marlon Wayans, who said, “This man has given so much to our spirits and our smiles.”

“I love you bro keep fighting,” he wrote on Instagram, adding to his Instagram story that “legends fall on hard times let’s all be part of the recovery.”

Actor and comedian DL Hughley also asked people to donate, saying Sinbad “isn’t just a naturally talented and FUNNY brother, he’s also good”.

“This thing of ours is a brotherhood that comes with an unspoken bond,” he wrote on Instagram, sharing actor Chris Spencer’s words. “…Often we don’t get a chance to help because it’s too late. …Here’s our opportunity to defend one of the greatest stand-ups.”

As part of fundraising efforts for Sinbad’s recovery, his family worked with toy designer Miguel Wilson and Rad Retro Power to create a limited-edition hand-painted Sinbad figure. A post on Sinbad’s Instagram on Monday said only 40 of the figures had been made so far and all proceeds would go towards his recovery.

The action figure was designed taking inspiration from Sinbad’s ’90s HBO comedy special “Brain Damaged” and features the outfit Sinbad wore during the routine.

“Her confidence and daring outfits have always caused a stir,” reads a description of the figure, which comes with a microphone and towel. “This very first artwork/action figure captures his iconic look from the special that only a superstar like Sinbad could achieve!”

Meanwhile, Sinbad and his family continue to fight.

“In his own words, ‘I’m not done. I won’t stop fighting until I can walk across the stage again,'” his family said on their website. “And neither do we.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *